Something amazing is happening in fashion. No single moment set it off. No siren, or fireworks marked the change. Nor does one designer, film star, rock icon, fashion director, or social media influencer deserves credit, but the shift in style is major and it’s a fascinating one.
No more do you need to divide your wardrobe into work and weekend, casual and dress up, day or night, or race after the trend of the moment. Instead, great style is now about clothes you can and want to wear as often as possible, regardless of the hour, or even the time of year. Fluidity and harmony is the key, so the casual gets elevated, elegance relaxes, daytime gets some spark, and nighttime kicks off its heels.
Naturally, clothes that radiate quality and versatility require accessories that do the same. That’s why Gabriel FINE JEWELRY EVERYDAY is perfect for the new 24/7 non-rules of fashion. Our earrings, pendants, bracelets, and rings seem to work with everything, go anywhere, and always make you feel special. This is jewelry you don’t save for a special occasion because it’s too beautiful to put away.
- Think about the way you buy shoes. No other item in the mall incites more overt passion and insatiable craving in women than shoes. No wonder department stores devote entire floors to footwear. And yet, despite this gotta-have-it now urge, would you ever dream of buying shoes without trying them on? What’s more, if you’re a savvy shopper, you won’t just slide them on to see if they fit, walk four steps this way, four steps that way and then say, “Wrap ‘em up!” (If you do, I need to write another column, but you’ll have to read it on halrubenstein.com.)
Instead, the smart shoe shopper keeps the desired pump, flat, or wedge on for a good ten minutes while in the store, sitting, pacing, standing, talking to the sales person, or whomever she came with, taking the time to let gravity and body weight do its thing, allowing one’s arch to settle in, toes to accommodate, corns to react, in order to determine if your feet and its proposed new housing are going to be good friends.
- Choosing jewelry is closer to selecting the right shoe than you might think. You can’t rush. Do both with a casual perusing. Divining the wonder of jewelry is a two-step process. The first step is exploring the details, and to do so you need to commit to a 360* inspection. Staring at jewelry in a case won’t tell you much, nor will taking it out and simply holding an earring up to your ear, or dangling a necklace under your chin. Because the second step in discovering the wonder is experiencing how jewelry relates, conforms and comes alive when it connects with your particular shape, curves and individual features.
- But before we even get to ‘casing the joint’ so to speak, you need to dress the part. Would you go shopping for an evening gown with your hair in a Scrunchie or wearing flats? (Don’t even think about it or you are going to make me write that other article). It’s more beneficial to dress way more akin to how you would like to look when you try on an item. So if you are shopping for a ring, slip into a nail salon before you slide a solitaire or a birthstone on. In the market for some bangles? Then don’t put on a long
sleeved top with gathered or buttoned sleeves. You can’t realize the versatility of an earring unless you wear your hair down so you can properly determine its visibility and impact a softer do. And why would you wear a crew neck sweater if you’re seeking a choker, or if you have your eye on a Y necklace. Tugging on your clothes won’t do the trick. So choose a hairstyle and an outfit that will show off your options to best advantage.
- Now, back to what we’ve taken out of the case. When trying on any ring, note that the wearer views the ring from a different perspective than everyone else, so you need to see the ring you’ve put on in a mirror large enough to match its shapes and size to your upper torso. Leave the ring on for a while as you try on other things, since fingers swell and subside with time and task. Also, you want to get the feel of the ring. Does it get caught on clothes, cause discomfort when you shake hands, slide around whenever you dig through your bag, make it difficult to put your arm through a sleeve, and especially with Gabriel diamond rings, is its sparkle more dominant than you expected.
- With bracelets, movement, weight and comfort is key with bracelets. So is sound. Gabriel Demure bracelets don’t make create a peep, even in multiples. However, though we don’t blame you for being so attracted to them, the wrong combination of Byblos bracelets could make you think of wind chimes.
- Gabriel earrings are so ergonomically precise and sensual that you can’t appreciate the artistry and surprising trajectory of our Comet, Gemini or numerous diamond hoop variations until they pierce your lobe and hang freely, and even then we recommend a viewing in front of a three-sided mirror because earrings look so different and will be viewed from every angle. You also need to be comfortable with the shimmer, shimmy and weight of a drop earring.
- Possibly because they covers more area on the body, the sensuality of necklaces is only realized when they are clasped to lie against the chest, rest onto the clavicle, plunge into one’s décolleté, or gently encircle the neck. Necklaces need to feel almost like second skin, regardless of their design and weight. So try one you like on, and leave it on while you shop the rest of the store. Just don’t go too far.
Fine jewelry is guaranteed not only to last beyond lifetimes, but also to unfailingly enhance your mood, confidence, and beauty every time you put it on. Even your favorite pumps can’t promise to do that forever. So isn’t anything so vital to one’s style and spirit worth taking the time to make the right choice? Yup, it sure is.